Previous Article

The latest PLA investment at Richmond Lock and Weir has involved the removal and replacement of timber fenders/rubbing strips and jetty access ladders used by vessels when tying up prior to using the lock.

Watch the film


The replacement timbers are Greenheart, grown in South America from a sustainable source. The new hardwood fenders and facings were constructed off site and fully assembled with new brackets and ironmongery. The fully assembled items each weighed in at over a tonne and were installed by a marine contractor with the specialist knowledge, equipment and skill to install fenders to the Lock Island wall in tidal conditions.

The work on site took two weeks, following some three weeks off site preparation of the fenders. Installation of the fenders was completed without disruption to the normal day to day running of the lock and weirs, or to other river users.


Sited between Teddington and Richmond, Richmond Lock and Weir
is made up of three vertical steel sluice gates suspended from a
footbridge. Each gate weighs 32.6 tonnes and is 20 metres wide and
3.64 metres in depth.

For around two hours each side of high tide, the sluice gates are
raised into the footbridge structure above, allowing ships and boats
to pass through the barrage. For the rest of the day the sluice gates
are closed and passing river traffic must use the lock alongside the

The Weir was built in Victorian times to maintain the river at a
minimum level upstream and stop the river drying out.

It was officially opened by the Duke and Duchess of York in 1894.
Today it is the base for our Upper District river patrol team.

A Grade 2 listed structure, Richmond Lock and Weir is manned
by a lock keeper 24 hours a day.


Port of London Authority, London River House, Royal Pier Road, Gravesend, Kent DA12 2BG. +44 (0) 1474 562200
Give us your feedback

Next Article


Home Port of London Authority